One of the most popular horror game developers right now is Bloober Team, and their upcoming Layers of Fear game. The series that defined narrative-focused first-person psychological horror is back to tell its last spine-chilling story with Layers of Fear.
The series’ crowning work is the definitive way to experience the critically acclaimed franchise as it features Layers of Fear and Layers of Fear 2, as well as all DLCs and the never-before-told story of The Writer, which will tie everything together. Layers of Fears’ release date is set for June 2023. The game will be released on Xbox Series X and S, PS5 and PC platforms.
Layers of Fear is a first-person psychedelic horror game, featuring elements of immersive storytelling and exploration. You’ll have to solve some puzzles, with most of the game being close to a walking simulator.
Layers of Fear is technically a remake of the first two games, however, with an expanded narrative.
If you’ve played the first two games in the series, we expect most of the plot points to remain the same. Both of the games had self-contained stories, with the first taking you into the eyes of an artist looking to complete their masterpiece. In Layers of Fear 2, you are an actor on a ship, with some terrifying encounters onboard.
In Layers of Fear you will explore a Victorian mansion covered in artwork as ‘The Painter’, whose sanity cracks. Scramble through the ever-changing house to find the supplies needed for your greatest masterpiece, all while trying to outrun your past.
Then you will learn more, told from the perspective of The Painter’s Daughter, you come seeking answers. Will you uncover the madness and secrets of your father? Can you ever forgive him? If you can face reliving your past the house may hold everything you need to know.
Then the Final Note in which you uncover it all. A brand new DLC which aims to shed more light on The Painter, his muse and the family’s backstory, The Final Note is told from the perspective of The Painter’s Wife. This additional narrative may change how you see the characters of the first game, as well as their actions.
Layers of Fear 2: Hit Your Marks
You are the lead actor in a production being filmed aboard an ocean liner, but all is not what it seems. Explore the ship and discover why you were perfect for The Director’s latest film. You awake and are told one simple command: “Act.”
The Lighthouse Chapter: Link the Layers
Enter a lone and ghastly lighthouse as the newest protagonist, The Writer, and discover a never-before-told tale which will tie the entire series together.
- Explore unsettling environments and solve strange puzzles to unveil the narrative at the heart of this first-person psychological horror experience
- Three different stories of craft-obsessed protagonists (The Painter, The Actor and The Writer) which are interwoven to create a truly immersive experience and gripping storyline
- Everything in the Layers of Fear series, including all DLCs, so you can find the answers you want
- New brand-new core mechanics that will be introduced to Layers of Fear and its sequel, as well as additional features, so all the chapters and stories will blend seamlessly
- Rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5, Layers of Fear supports Ray Tracing, HDR and 4K resolution to make the visuals as realistic as possible
- The new Lumen system offers the most immersive and visceral horror experience
- A hauntingly beautiful soundtrack by the highly acclaimed and award-winning composer, Arek Reikowski. He has composed a hypnotic score that adds an extra layer of tension to the game and will leave you on the edge of your seat
Players must also beware of the mature content that this game has in it, as it may not be appropriate for people of all ages or for people playing at work. This game possesses some emotional violence as well as other general mature content, such as psychological diseases. However, if you are a true horror game fan then you will be willing to take on the challenge of trying to complete this game and you should definitely give it a try.