With 200 million more global users than Facebook Messenger in 2018, WhatsApp is undoubtedly the number 1 messaging app available. For its continuous popularity, however, people are still looking for something more than what the app offers.
This becomes obvious with the number of mods popping out, two of the more popular of which are FMWhatsApp and GBWhatsApp.
Both apps are different versions of WhatsApp with more and enhanced functions and features. Some also say they are more secure than the original app.
Both are better than WhatsApp. But which one is better between the two?
This a modded version of WhatsApp designed to remove any restrictions the original app may have. It gave birth to comprehensive and independent features that users are looking for but couldn’t find from the original version of the app.
- Many customization features and possibilities
- App interface can be personalized using tons of themes
- Status characters extended up to 250
- Brand new and varied emoji list
- Hides status, last seen, and other privacy features
- Improved privacy controls
- Use 2 WhatsApp accounts at the same time
- Image compression disabled to preserve the original quality
- Allows files of up to 50 MB and videos of 1 GB to be shared
- Updates regularly
- Security and privacy issues
- Data may end up in third-party hands
- Updates come later than the original and may cause security issues and unprotected data
Although a clone of the original app, GBWhatsApp come with extra added features and some modifications. It lets you do what you can’t do with WhatsApp such as hiding blue ticks and your status.
- Send 90 images in one click
- Hide online status while chatting away
- Send large-size videos, particularly up to 50 MB
- Hide Blue Microphone, Blue Ticks, Second Tick, Recording Status, Writing info
- Comes with custom and new emojis and custom theme options
- Add 600 people in one broadcast group
- No ban issues
- Block calls of specific people in your contacts
- Disable internet only and so much more
- Has the ability to revoke multiple messages on WhatsApp
- Not available for auto download and install
- Need to find a trusted source of the APK file
- Third-party software that may come with malware or virus, depending on where it’s downloaded
- Installation involves several steps, including enabling and disabling Unknown Sources
- Not recommended for use for commercial, official purposes, or sensitive data
Despite security concerns, take note that GBWhatsApp uses the same server as the original app, providing a layer of security. The codes are encrypted, although the stylesheet information is not.
To be safe, it’s still recommended to use WhatsApp when transmitting confidential data.
How do you make a choice?
It comes down to personal preference and what you want from the modded version.
Is there something you wanted from the original app that you can find in the modified app? Use that app instead.
Do you want to stay hidden from the rest of your contact while chatting with someone else online? Use the app that can do just that. To help you make a better choice, test out both versions and find out which one suits you best.