Nikon announced the release of a new lightweight lens for the Nikon Z mount system today. The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) lens compact prime lens compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
This special edition lens borrows it’s design features from the classic Nikon lenses made at the time of the Nikon FM2 SLR camera. The knurled control ring is one typical such feature. The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is made to expand the choices of lenses suited for the Z fc’s heritage design.
The optical performance of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is the same as that of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2. Its f/2 maximum aperture allows users to easily enjoy imaging expression including beautiful, round-shaped bokeh. With a total length of approximately 45.5 mm and weight of approximately 170 g, its compact size and light weight makes it easy to take it anywhere. The lens is ideal for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including portraits that utilize bokeh, snapshots, and photos of still objects, with a highly versatile standard angle of view offered by the lens’ 40-mm focal length. When used with an APS-C size/DX-format camera like the Z fc, the lens offers a mid-telephoto angle of view equivalent to that of a 60-mm lens (in 35mm  format) that serves to emphasize the primary subject.
NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) features
- Adoption of a heritage design inspired by the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the FM2, which matches the Z fc body.
- The bright maximum aperture of f/2 and a 9-blade iris diaphragm provide beautiful round-shaped bokeh.
- The 40-mm focal length supports a standard angle of view ideal for shooting portraits, snapshots and other subjects in a wide variety of scenes.
- The focal length becomes 60 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) when mounted on an APS-C size camera.
- The compact and lightweight body has a total length of approximately 45.5 mm and weight of approximately 170 g.
- The minimum focus distance of 0.29 m allows users to get closer to their subjects.
- Adoption of an STM (stepping motor) enables high-speed and accurate AF with quiet operational sounds while maintaining a compact body size.
- Designed with consideration for dust- and drip-resistant performance so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Designed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
As well as its superior optical performance, effective AF, and dust- and drip-resistance*, the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is designed to blend seamlessly with the user’s aesthetic, enhancing the joy of shooting and ownership.