- NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) is an autonomous government institution that has been assigned to develop and distribute textbooks for primary and secondary level studies.
- NCERT books have been adopted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) as a part of their school curriculum.
- NCERT books are comprehensive and cover all the important topics and concepts which are carefully compiled after a long research by a group of professionals. These textbooks are a great way for 12th class students to prepare well for their exams and score good marks.
- DESM (the Department of Education in Science and Mathematics) along with NCERT created a set of great problem-solving questions called “Exemplar Problems” in Science and Mathematics textbooks for classes 9th to 12th. The purpose of developing this set of problem-solving questions was to enhance the learning skills of students and to test their problem-solving abilities and analytical thinking. These problems are important not only for exams but also to improve the quality of educational learning in schools. If students attempt these exercises, they would be a great way for self-assessment.
- NCERT books for class 12 are a very good source of study material as almost all the questions asked in the board exams are taken up from the concepts provided in these books.
- CBSE has strictly advised the students of class12 to refer to NCERT books for board exams. While preparing for the class 12 CBSE board exams, one must prepare well by first covering all the concepts and then practising the exercises from NCERT.
- Other than the board examinations, NCERT books have also been considered as best study materials for some highly competitive entrance exams like JEE, JEE Main, JEE Advanced, NEET, etc.
Why are NCERT books great to study material for board exams?
- Authentic and Verified Content
After extensive research, a group of professionals have carefully designed the content provided in the NCERT textbooks. All the information provided in these books has been verified and is authentic. The topics and concepts covered in the books have been explained in great detail and in a language that is easy to understand by students.
- Cover all Basics and Fundamentals
CBSE strictly advised preparing from NCERT textbooks because they cover the basics of all the important concepts and topics that are in the syllabus for board exams. When students have clarity in the basics of a concept, it becomes much easier for them to build a strong base of fundamentals. Therefore, students gain in-depth knowledge in those topics. Before the exams, NCERT books serve as a great source to do a quick revision as they provide specific content on all the topics.
Students can study from other reference books but they often end up more confused and waste their time because these books provide detailed notes on all topics but not the basic knowledge. These reference books mostly serve the purpose of providing high-level study material for the preparation of entrance exams.
- Strictly follow CBSE Curriculum
CBSE Board has specifically notified all the students not to refer to any other books apart from the NCERT textbooks as there won’t be any questions asked from outside the syllabus. These books have been crafted in such a way that they are sufficient study material as they strictly adhere to the CBSE curriculum. They are also a good source to study from for some important entrance exams like JEE, NEET, etc.
- Practice Questions
All the NCERT books have a set of questions given both in between the chapter and at the end of each chapter. Apart from that some also contain sample practice test papers at the end of the textbooks. Solved examples have been provided in between the chapters concept-wise. The questions at the end of the chapters are of various types- long or short question/ answer, fill-in-the-blank, match the following, true or false, etc.
How to prepare for class 12th board exams using NCERT books?
- Notes Making
Each and every chapter in the syllabus must be read at least 2 times by paying attention to the details. Highlighting the important concepts, statements and questions are very important. Maintaining a proper class as well as self-made notes is the key as they are helpful right before the exams. Marking all the important details as instructed by the subject teachers is very important as they are familiar with the questions asked in the previous year board exams.
- Making a Timetable
Creating a study timetable that suits you is a must because studying without a plan will not provide you with the luxury of revision and revision is very important. Divide topics and chapters into small daily tasks. Make sure you schedule the number of tasks per day according to your studying capacity. Don’t try to do so much in one day because then it will be harder to retain the information efficiently.
This is one of the most important steps while preparing for your board exams. Revision is a great way to retain information for longer durations of time. Make sure to do a quick revision of all the concepts you have studied in the past 2 or 3 days and a weekly revision. Before the exam, all you have to do is revise your class and self-made notes, previous year question papers (as they give you an idea of the type of questions asked) and you will be done preparing ready to score good marks.
- Stay Calm
Staying calm and composed during the preparation period is more important than one can speculate. It helps in retaining your mind, and helps you retain better, and for much longer. Take some time away from books, and unwind. Take frequent naps, and practice meditation.