We’ve covered USB monitors here before with the ASUS UFOTO UF735 and Century Japan’s 4.3” monitor. What makes the Nanovision MIMO series LCD monitors different is the display’s feature-set. The 7” Nanovisions MIMO display is available in models that include touch-screen support, a 1.3MP webcam, and microphone and headphone jacks.
USB monitors are usually purchased for a specific secondary monitor purpose, such as being able to check your screen content from a location other than directly in front of your main display. The MIMO monitors are also a great way to dedicate space to applications that normally can clutter your desktop. Think of some applications that you mostly use at a glance, like an instant messenger, weather monitoring, movies or music playing, a video conference, and much more.
The monitor uses the USB connection as the power source, which therefore requires one less cable. Starting with UM-710 model, the 700 series is around $129 dollars, which is quite affordable. Supporting an 800×480 resolution, the MIMO can be viewed in many different display modes such as mirror, extended display, and landscape or portrait mode.
Nikon Corporation has announced the Media Port UP300x multimedia playback headset that features display, headphones, audio/video player, Wi-Fi Internet connectivity, built-in memory, and the power source all-in-one. The Media Port UP will be available initially in Japan, but it can be exported to other regions.
Major Functions Include:
- The compact, all-in-one unit provides video and music enjoyment anywhere, hands-free
- Media Port UP offers the same experience as viewing a 50-inch screen from a three meter distance
- The system boasts a compact, lightweight display that provides a high-quality image from the use of a new adhesion double-layer diffractive optical element (DOE) lens
- The UP300x includes an integrated motion sensor that enables hands-free operation, such as volume control, file selection, playback, pause, etc. via head movement
- 8GB of internal memory is provided (a lower-end model is also available with 4GB)
- The system is designed with a high eyepoint and diopter adjustment that allows easy use for anyone, even those who wear glasses
- Wi-Fi connectivity allows for web browsing as well as media content downloading through the unit
- A content distribution service for the system will also be available soon for convenient download and enjoyment of desired movies and music
- Windows Media content is fully supported
Century Japan has released a handy 4.3" USB LCD monitor. The unit is designed as a secondary display with the extra functionality of a stand-alone photo frame. Imagine you’ve been hard at work all day, but you’re expecting a specific email or IM. You’re tired, and want to go sit in the recliner you have in the room. Rather than having to pop up to your desk every time you hear your email/IM notification sound, just look over at the small LCD display sitting beside you. That’s just one example of possibilities the monitor can offer. The WVGA 800 x 480 display does not require a power supply because it is powered by the USB bus (one less cable). Its brightness is rated at 200 cd/m3, and it uses LED backlighting. The Century Japan LCD will be available for purchase in mid-November for about $199.
Shuttle’s small form factor desktop PCs have maintained a similar, rectangular design for years. The Shuttle D10 is no exception, other than the addition of a built-in 7-inch touch screen display! The D10 is Shuttle’s first computer that boasts an integrated 7-inch (800×480) LCD touchscreen display. The display can be used to view photos, movies, music, video, etc. It was designed with surveillance and simple entertainment center functions in mind.
The Shuttle D10 offers the following Specifications:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4000, Dual-Core E2000, and Celeron 400 series processor support
- Intel G31 + ICH7 chipset
- Up to 4GB RAM
- Intel GMA 3100 video card
- 5.1 channel audio support
- Two 3.0Gb/s bandwidth SATA II controllers
- Four USB 2.0 ports
- Power efficiency and quiet operation
The Shuttle D10 will be available for approximately $475.